3.7 KB
Newer Older
1 2 3 4
# Moving to the Netherlands

A potential moving of country for a new job is a big undertaking and shouldn't be underestimated. This document is intended to help you out with some of the issues.

5 6
# Getting here

OlinData pays for the flight ticket from your country of residence to Amsterdam. Please arrange this with Mine.
8 9 10

# your first few weeks here

Walter Heck's avatar
Walter Heck committed
For EU citizens, we pay for the first 2 weeks of accommodation in a [student hotel]( (misleading name) of your choice.
12 13 14

For people from outside the EU we pay for the first 3 weeks.

15 16
For people outside of EU might be interesting to register with your country's consulate if available in your city of choice or in The Hague.

Of course, if you have questions, you can always contact your [buddy](

19 20 21 22
# A place to live

## Which city should I live in?

23 24 25 26
Up to you. Keep in mind that much of the economic activity in this country is in and around the Amsterdam area, especially for the type of clients we service. That means that for your first 6-12 months it's probably going to be best if you live in Amsterdam or one of the surrounding cities (Haarlem, Hoofddorp, even Leiden).

Living south of Den Haag is fine, but keep in mind travel times in rush hour to get to Amsterdam.

27 28
## How can I find a place to rent once I figure out where to live?

29 30
<> or <>

31 32 33 34
# Moving around

## Do I need a car?

35 36
Not really, public transport is great in NL. You can get pretty much anywhere by public transport. The majority of OD employees don't have one. Of course, your freedom increases if you do have one.

37 38
## Can I use my driver's license?

Walter Heck's avatar
Walter Heck committed
39 40
For the first period of time, yes. After that you'll need to convert it.

41 42
## How does public transport work?

Walter Heck's avatar
Walter Heck committed
43 44
You'll need a public transport card, known as OV-chipkaart

# Social Security Number (BSN or Burger Service Nummer)

Walter Heck's avatar
Walter Heck committed
This is basically your unique identifier across government agencies alike. You'll need this number before you can do pretty much anything. Once you get your residence permit you'll need to go register at a municipality. Part of the registration includes receiving a BSN if you don't have one yet.
After you get your BSN you should get a [digid](onboarding/ right away. The fastest way to get your BSN as an expat is to schedule an appointment with Den Haag's Expat Center, providing the company's address as your first mailing address. With this first appointment you'll have the residence permit and BSN at the same time and without the need of any other appointments.

50 51
# Healthcare

52 53 54
In Holland, every individual pays for their own health care insurance. It's mandatory to have one. Once you come here and get a BSN you can use it to register to any zorgverzekering. While you have 4 months to get a health insurance, it is suggested to do this as soon as you have BSN, so you will be covered. They will charge you from the time that you registered first in the Netherlands. A good Dutch resource for comparing zorgverzekeringen is [Independer](

Once you have a health insurance, you need to register with a General Practioner(huisarts) in your area and then for any non-emergency doctor visit you should make an appointment with your GP. 
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

# Liability Insurance

The one other mandatory insurance is liability insurance. Check out [Independer]( for some comparisons.

# Pension fund

For the pension, we do not have a system in place yet, but we are reaching a size where more and more people ask about it. It is something we're working on to get within 2017.